EEA nationals in the UK after Brexit:

How do I make an application?

This short guide is intended to help European Economic Area (EEA) nationals who live and work in the UK understand which application they should make in order to remain in the UK after a No-Deal Brexit.

This guide is for general information only. It is not a substitute for advice from a lawyer. If you are having problems with your immigration status you should seek advice from one of the organisations listed.

(1) What is the first step I need to take?

All of the information you need to start the application is online here:

Guidance on the settled scheme and the application available in all European languages is available here:

The first step in applying is to prove your identity. You need to have your passport or national ID card to do this, as well as an email address and telephone number.

The best way to prove your identity is to download the Home Office’s EU Exit Document Check App if you have an Android phone.

The Link to download the App is here:

You can use a friend’s Android phone if you don’t have one.

Once you have downloaded the app, you can

  • Scan or enter the details of your passport or national identity card;
  • Take a digital photograph of yourself and upload it.

If you can’t use the app- you can post your ID document to the Home Office or go to an identity scanning location. More information is available here:

There are 24 centres in London and you can find your nearest centre here: scanner locations/locations-offering-chip-checker-services

There is a helpful video on the identity checking process here.

After you have finished using the app, you will get an email with information about how to apply online. You can apply on any device- a phone, laptop or computer.

(2) How can I prove I have been living in the UK?

If you have a National Insurance Number (NIN), when you apply the Home Office will carry out automated checks with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs and the Department for Work and Pensions to establish how long you have been in the UK for. This may be enough to prove that you have been living in the UK, if you have been working and paying taxes. But you should submit other evidence to provide your residence. This can include, for example:

  • bank statements, pay-slips
  • P60s, P45s, CIS annual statements;
  • signed and dated letters from your payroll bureau confirming the period when you were working for them. Examples include Stonebridge, Bishopsgate or an equivalent payroll bureau.
  • tenancy agreements or mortgage statements, council tax or utility bills;
  • GP letters or letters from your children’s school.

The Home Office will not accept letters from friends or family, greetings cards or personal photographs as evidence of residence.

You should try to submit as much evidence as possible and to cover the whole period of your residence in the UK.

(3) When do I need to apply?

You should make an application for pre-settled or settled status as soon as possible and before 31 October 2019 in light of the Government’s position that a No Deal Brexit is an option on that date.

If you have made an application before 31 October 2019, there is currently no reason to believe you must be present in the UK on that date in the event of a No Deal Brexit.

However, if you are planning to leave and return to the UK shortly after 31 October 2019, it is advisable to bring proof of your application for settled/pre-settled status to show at border checks if necessary.

You do not need to ask to get your passport stamped on return to the UK on/after 31 October 2019, but it is advisable to keep a record and proof of any flights you take in/around this time for completeness.

If you have not made an application by 31 October 2019, and there is a No Deal Brexit, it is advisable to be present in the UK on 31 October 2019 and to be able to prove that- for instance employment records, receipts from that day, or proof of purchases on your bank account.

(4) Who can I ask for help?

Help is available from the following sources:

  • Your country’s Embassy in the UK;
  • An immigration lawyer- a barrister, a solicitor, or an immigration adviser regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC);
  • UKCEN;
  • Praxis;
  • JCWI;
  • Consonant in N17

The Home Office also provide some telephone numbers and an online chat forum where you can ask for help. More details are available here: